Active User Contributing Member KD8MJR's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did Tokyo Hy-Power make service manuals?

I am asked this question by a lot of people so I thought I would answer it once and for all.

No they never made ANY service manuals for any of the amplifiers!
    What they did make was field service manuals for four of the later models. These are pretty much useless for doing repairs, only the 1.2Kfx and 1.5kfx had any info and that was just a procedure for checking the mosfets with a meter. Basically all of the four field service manuals were written to tell AVSL and other repair centers how to locate and remove boards and package them for shipment to Japan. THP had a bad experience with outside repairs and decided long ago not to train people or contract anyone to service the amplifiers at a component level. They would send batches of 6 or more new PA modules and other boards to the repair centers and periodically expect to get back 6 damaged modules which they would in turn repair in Japan and recycle them back out to the service centers. That is why AVSL only did board level replacements and stopped servicing the amplifiers when they ran out of boards.

Quote Originally Posted by KD8MJR View Post
    I am asked this question by a lot of people so I thought I would answer it once and for all.

No they never made ANY service manuals for any of the amplifiers!
    What they did make was field service manuals for four of the later models. These are pretty much useless for doing repairs, only the 1.2Kfx and 1.5kfx had any info and that was just a procedure for checking the mosfets with a meter. Basically all of the four field service manuals were written to tell AVSL and other repair centers how to locate and remove boards and package them for shipment to Japan. THP had a bad experience with outside repairs and decided long ago not to train people or contract anyone to service the amplifiers at a component level. They would send batches of 6 or more new PA modules and other boards to the repair centers and periodically expect to get back 6 damaged modules which they would in turn repair in Japan and recycle them back out to the service centers. That is why AVSL only did board level replacements and stopped servicing the amplifiers when they ran out of boards.
    So, what happens when a repair is made, even a board level repair? The interaction between swapped out and native boards could require adjustmenst to be made. There ceratinly is more than a few adjustments in the 1.5Kfx. How would anyone know how to adjust or check certain areas for proper spec and operation? Just wondering.